You are here
Associate Professor; Dwight Webster Sesquicentennial Faculty Fellow; Faculty Curator of Ichthyology, Cornell University Museum of Vertebrates
I am an aquatic conservation ecologist. Working with a wide range of collaborators, I develop management approaches that balance human interests with protecting biodiversity. Our work is worldwide in scope, using detailed field studies at sites in New York, the Great Lakes, East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Hawaii to gain general insights and identify global patterns. Our goal is to achieve sustainable use of freshwater resources that maintains the integrity of river and lake ecosystems.
Fisheries, food webs, climate change, ecological stoichiometry, global biodiversity, conservation planning, river networks, life history and migration
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Natural Resources
- Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future (ACSF)
- Fluet-Chouinard E, Funge-Smith S & McIntyre PB. 2018. Global hidden harvest of freshwater fish revealed by household surveys. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 115: 7623-7628.
- Lisi PJ, Childress E, Gagne RB, Hain EF, Hogan JD, Gilliam JF, Blum MJ, & McIntyre PB. 2018. Overcoming urban stream syndrome: trophic flexibility confers resilience among Hawaiian stream fishes. Freshwater Biology 63: 492-502.
- Magee M, McIntyre PB, & Wu C. 2018. Modeling oxythermal stress for cool-water fishes in lakes using a cumulative dosage approach. Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences 75: 1303-1312.
- Milt A, Diebel M, Doran P, Ferris M, Herbert M, Khoury M, Moody A, Neeson T, Ross J, Treska T, O'Hanley J., Walter L, Wangen S, Yacobson E, & McIntyre PB. 2018. Minimizing opportunity costs to aquatic connectivity restoration while controlling invasive species. Conservation Biology 32: 894-904.
- Neeson TM, Moody AT, O'Hanley JR, Diebel MW, Doran PJ, Ferris MC, Colling T, & McIntyre PB. 2018. Aging infrastructure creates opportunities for cost-efficient restoration of aquatic ecosystem connectivity. Ecological Applications, in press.
- Stevens A, Baird I, & McIntyre PB. 2018. Fish consumption preferences create differential mercury exposure among Wisconsin anglers. Fisheries 43: 31-41.
- White CH, Heidinger AK, Ackerman SA, & Mcintyre PB. 2018. A long-term fine-resolution record of AVHRR surface temperatures for the Laurentian Great Lakes. Remote Sensing 10: 1210.
- Hermoso V, Januchowski-Hartley S, Linke S, Dudgeon D, Petry P, & McIntyre PB. 2017. Optimal allocation of species assessments to guide conservation of biodiversity in a rapidly changing world. Global Change Biology 23: 3525-3532.
- Koning AA, Moore J, Suttidate N, Hannigan R, & McIntyre PB. 2017. Intensification of swidden agriculture leads to eutrophication of Southeast Asian rivers. Ecosystems 20: 393-405.
- Kraemer BK, Chandra S, Dell A, Dix M, Kuusisto E, Livingstone D, Schladow G, Silow E, Sitoki L, Tamatamah R & McIntyre PB. 2017. Global patterns in lake ecosystem responses to warming based on the temperature dependence of metabolism. Global Change Biology 23: 1881-1890.
- Moody AT, Neeson TM, Wangen S, Dischler J, Diebel MW, Herbert M, Khoury M, Yacobson E, Doran PJ, Ferris MC, O'Hanley JR, & McIntyre PB. 2017. Pet project or best project? Online decision support tools for prioritizing barrier removals in the Great Lakes and beyond. Fisheries 42: 57-65.
- Childress E & McIntyre PB. 2016. Life history traits modulate ecosystem-level effects of nutrient subsidies from fish migrations. Ecosphere 7: e01301.
- Cohen AS, Gergurich EL, Kraemer BM, McGlue MM, McIntyre PB, Russell JM, Simmons JD, & Swarzenski PW. 2016. Climate warming reduces fish production and benthic habitat in Lake Tanganyika, one of the world’s most biodiverse freshwater ecosystems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113: 9563–9568.
- Mason LA, Riseng CM, Gronewold AD, Rutherford ES, Wang J, Clites A, Smith SDP, & McIntyre PB. 2016. Fine-scale spatial variation in ice cover and surface temperature trends across the surface of the Laurentian Great Lakes. Climatic Change 138: 71-83.
- McIntyre PB, Reidy Liermann C, & Revenga C. 2016. Linking freshwater fishery management to global food security and biodiversity conservation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113: 12880-12885.
- Vanni MJ & McIntyre PB. 2016. Predicting nutrient excretion rates of aquatic animals using metabolic ecology and ecological stoichiometry: a global synthesis. Ecology 97: 3460-3471.
- Winemiller KO, McIntyre PB, & 39 others. 2016. Balancing hydropower and biodiversity in the Amazon, Congo and Mekong. Science 351: 128-129.
- Neeson TM, Ferris MC, Diebel MW, Doran PJ, O’Hanley JR, & McIntyre PB. 2015. Enhancing ecosystem restoration efficiency through spatial and temporal coordination. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 112: 6236–6241.
- O’Reilly CM, et al. 2015. Rapid and highly variable warming of lake surface waters around the globe. Geophysical Research Letters 42 doi:10.1002/2015GL066235.
- Hogan JD, Blum MJ, Gilliam JF, Bickford N, & McIntyre PB. 2014. Consequences of alternative dispersal strategies in a putatively amphidromous fish. Ecology 95: 2397-2408.
- Allan JD*, McIntyre PB*, Smith SDP, Halpern BS, & 18 coauthors. 2013. Joint analysis of stressors and ecosystem services to enhance restoration effectiveness. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110: 372-377.
- Januchowski-Hartley S, McIntyre PB, Diebel M, & Doran PJ. 2013. Restoring aquatic ecosystem connectivity requires expanding inventories of both dams and road crossings. Frontiers in Ecology & Environment 11: 211-217.
- Pracheil BM, McIntyre PB, & Lyons JD. 2013. Enhancing conservation of large-river biodiversity by accounting for tributaries. Frontiers in Ecology & Environment 11: 124-128.
- Vadeboncoeur Y, McIntyre PB, & Vander Zanden MJ. 2011. Borders of biodiversity: life at the edge of the world's Great Lakes. BioScience 61: 526-537.
- Vörösmarty CJ, McIntyre PB, Gessner MO, Dudgeon D, Prusevich A, Green P, Glidden S, Bunn SE, Sullivan CA, Reidy Liermann C, & Davies PM. 2010. Global threats to human water security and river biodiversity. Nature 467: 555-561.
- Arnegard ME, McIntyre PB, Harmon LJ, Zelditch ML, Crampton WGR, Davis JK, Sullivan JP, Lavoué S, & Hopkins CD. 2010. Sexual signal evolution outpaces ecological divergence during electric fish species radiation. American Naturalist 176: 335–356.
- McIntyre PB, Flecker A, Vanni M, Hood J, Taylor B & Thomas S. 2008. Fish distributions and nutrient recycling in a tropical stream: can fish create biogeochemical hotspots? Ecology 89: 2335-2346.
- McIntyre PB, Jones L, Flecker A, & Vanni M. 2007. Fish extinctions alter nutrient recycling in tropical freshwaters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104: 4461-4466.